Chapter 2: Season 1, also known as Drop Into a New World,was the eleventh season of Fortnite: Battle Royale that started on October 15, 2019, and ended on February 20th, 2020, making it the longest season to date, with a length of 128 days (or 4 months), and the first Season to have 3 Seasonal Events (Winterfest, Fortnitemares, and Love and War).
The theme is a new world and a new beginning, which was caused by the events of The End.
On v11.20, Epic Games announced that Chapter 2: Season 1 would end on February 6th, 2020, to prepare for the holidays with new features and a live event.
Then, it happened again on January 24th, 2020, with the new date being February 20th, 2020. This is for Epic to reveal more of the season’s secrets and test out the new stuff.
This is the longest season in Chapter 2 and the longest season overall lasting 128 days (4 months).
- 1 Previously, in Fortnite...
- 2 Welcome to Chapter 2
- 3 The Chapter 2: Season 1 storyline
- 4 How did it End?
- 5 New Features
- 6 Battle Pass
- 7 Battle Pass Rewards
- 8 Introduction
- 9 Map Changes
- 10 Unofficial Patch Notes
- 11 Gallery
Previously, in Fortnite...
The Scientist created Rift Beacons throughout most of Season X, creating rifts acting as gateways to the island for the other members of The Seven. During The End, The Seven destroyed the time bubble surrounding The Zero Point, resuming the 'pinching' process (as described in detail here) that was paused by the freezing of time at the start of Season X. Following the time bubble's destruction, The Zero Point exploded, and its remains collapsed into a black hole that destroyed the entire island, and momentarily collapsed reality. During The Blackout, The Scientist managed to transmit a message, stating 'I was not alone. Others were outside the loop. This was not calculated. The nothing is now inevitable.' This suggests that The Seven have failed in their attempt to contain The Zero Point, and that their un-calculated actions instead resulted in the permanent destruction of the universe.
Welcome to Chapter 2
However, despite what The Seven stated, The Black hole evaporated away after two days of The Blackout, forming a brand new Zero Point that reconstructed reality and reorganized the the previous island's matter into a new one, wiping the slate clean and beginning once again. The reason for The Black Hole ending is likely due to the transmission sent at the start of the season, likely originating from The Imagined Order.
...[security encryption M7 authenticated]...
The Containment Field has stabilized; The Bridge is intact.
The seven succeeded. Our manipulations averted disaster.
The zero point is ours, and the plan can continue.
...[recalculating Loop shift]...
...[initiating sub Loop text transmission]...
Surprising is the sheer volume of Matter resolved around the Bridge.
Extensive Charting and Analysis are required.
Our best [redacted: D4] Team has been scrambled and inserted.
We expect resistance. And similar embedded Agents.
We've been as quiet as possible. But the gaze of others may now be turned towards Zero.
A whole new world awaits.
...[end transmission; loop]...
The message above outlines that everything is starting to stabilize, and that The Bridge is intact and safely containing The Zero Point. Although The Seven initially failed in containing it, The Imagined Order managed to somehow 'manipulate' The Black Hole into reconstructing reality, which subsequently finished the 'pinching' process and reshaped the island into a new one, basically ensuring their success. The message also states that they are sending in a group of people to form an organization called E.G.O. on the island, dedicated to studying and understanding the new world. The reason for the the group of people using a separate name from The Imagined Order is likely due to the fact that IO is trying to keep themselves hidden from the inhabitants of the island, silently influencing activities on the island from the shadows. The message finishes with a warning, in that although The Imagined Order has been as quiet as possible in containing the gargantuan amounts of energy released by The Zero Point, the events of The End may have attracted attention of entities seeking to exploit it for themselves, as 'the gaze of others may now be turned towards zero'. Zero is the designation of the reality in which the Fortnite Island and The Zero Point resides, as confirmed by Donald Mustard on his twitter account at the beginning of Chapter 2 Season 8. The End, however, attracted the attention of Galactus, who felt the shift in reality when The Zero Point reorganized the island into a new one, and began moving towards its source, The Zero Point.
The E.G.O team, consisting of Journey, Turk, Remedy, Cameo and, 8-Ball, arrive on the island in a plane, crashing on the north-west side near Sweaty Sands. They begin exploring the new island to its fullest before The Loop resets and Battle Royale resumes once again. On the island, Salty Springs, Retail Row, and Pleasant Park have been conserved from the old map, while the rest has been changed. New locations include Lazy Lake, Holly Hedges, and Misty Meadows. A Slurp Co. factory is located in the southwest side of the island, known as Slurpy Swamp, and dispenses excess slurp juice into the surrounding swamps, giving them mysterious regenerative properties. The factory was used to create Rippley, a uniqe entity created from slurp juice. He later met the E.G.O team and joined them in their mission to study the island. The Floating Island that briefly existed at the end of Season X was destroyed during The End, but The Cube that was attached to it survived the ordeal. Following the reconstruction of the island, it was revealed to be hidden from sight, kept in a dormant state and located in a deep vat within Building 2 at Steamy Stacks, kept submerged within purple liquid and constantly monitored by numerous electronics. Energy was then slowly extracted from The Cube, and this became the basis of Kevolution Energy, which operated Steamy Stacks for extracting Cube energy, turning it into electricity, and sending it along several power lines throughout the island. However, The Imagined Order either did not know about The Cube at Steamy Stacks, or did know but decided to keep it there, as it was safely contained from breaking out and wreaking havoc on the island. Another area on the southeast side of the island was revealed to contain an unknown bunker mysteriously named **REDACTED**. As of Chapter 2: Season 8, it has not been opened or received any major updates.
The E.G.O team setup numerous unique research outposts throughout the island, including an E.G.O science station, Hangar, and Barracks.
The Chapter 2: Season 1 storyline
E.G.O begins studying the island, and setup numerous unique research outposts throughout the island, including an E.G.O Science Station, Hangar, and Barracks. The group of six members act as the leaders of the organization, and likely report back their discoveries to The Imagined Order, which has its Bridge facility deep underground and directly underneath Eye Land.
A few weeks into the season, it is revealed that Snapshots of Journey, Turk, Remedy, Cameo, 8-Ball, and Rippley have been created. They are named Hazard, Riptide, Toxin, Chic, Scratch, and Sludge respectively. They seem to be the direct opposite of the originals and completely hostile to them. Not long after, the snapshots form their own organization called A.L.T.E.R.. It might be that their main motivation for the hostility is that they feel like they are 'fake' when compared to the originals, and may have decided to kill them and take their place.
The Snapshots use Slurpy Swamp to produce dozens of Sludges, using them as soldiers to fight for A.L.T.E.R.. Toxin assumes the role of commanding the Sludges, while Riptide sets up a black market at Dirty Docks, operating strictly at night and selling grenades, Rocket Launchers, and Floppers. The area is guarded by the Sludge Army and the rest of the A.L.T.E.R snapshots.
Meanwhile, E.G.O discovers the problem that they are facing, discussing how they are vastly outnumbered due to the Sludge Army, and how A.L.T.E.R is preparing to attack them. In the loading screen, The Lowdown, the team is located inside the E.G.O Hangar, and 8-Ball is seen contemplating fighting his snapshot, Scratch, as the team discusses the problem behind him.
In the following few weeks, A.L.T.E.R begins their assault. Rippley and Cameo hide at a barn in Frenzy Farm, while Toxin commands a group of Sludges to search for the duo. Elsewhere, 8-Ball duels Scratch inside Wailing Woods, although a winner has not been confirmed. However, judging by the presence of 8-Ball in the Chapter 2 Season 2 trailer, it can be assumed that Scratch was eventually defeated and killed in the duel.
Following their ordeal at Frenzy Farm, Cameo and Rippley rejoin the other members of E.G.O (excluding 8-Ball, who is duelling Scratch in Wailing Woods). The team manages to narrowly escape Toxin and a very large group of Sludges pursuing them. They drive through Hydro 16 in a speedboat, as Sludges and Toxin shoot at them from the top of the dam.
While these events are occurring, Chaos Agent is seen observing the activities on the island through multiple TV screens, and begins to hatch plans.
During the Christmas Period, Snowmando attempted to take over the island. He commenced Operation: Snowdown, and constructed numerous Snowmando Outposts throughout the island. However, this ended in a failure, and Snowmando was beaten back.
How did it End?
Near the very end of the season, at Eye Land, some of the furniture in the house was turned into gold. This suggested that Midas had arrived and scouted the area. One thing was for certain though, the battle was about to get much more interesting...
- A new map, Apollo island, with new Point of Interests. To discover locations, you must explore them.
- New progression system: Battle Stars are no more, gain XP to progress. This system was previously used in C1-S1.
- Fishing: You can use the new fishing rod item to catch some fish that can heal you, or assorted loot.
- Swimming: You can also dive in water without worrying about fall damage.
- Hiding: Hay Bales, Dumpsters, Snowmen, and Portable Bathrooms can be used as hiding spots and are scattered among the map.
- Upgrade Bench: Found in certain POIs, you can spend materials to upgrade the weapon 1 rarity higher. The material cost increases with rarities.
- Sidegrading: A feature added to the Upgrade Bench on v11.40. It allows you to switch to another version of a weapon (Example: Assault Rifle to Heavy Assault Rifle, and vice versa).
Loot and Items
- Two-Slot Items: The first item of this type is the Bandage Bazooka.
- Bandage Bazooka: A weapon that can shoot bandages to heal teammates.
- Rare Chest: A blue chest that guarantees an Epic or Legendary weapon.
- Large Ammo Box: It contains more ammo and occasionally a shield sometimes a med kit too.
- Rusty Can: A consumable that can be thrown at enemies to deal 20 damage and can be picked up again after use.
- Lump of Coal: Similar to the Rusty Can, but can also be used to light campfires and can only be found in chests and Presents!, instead of from fishing.
- Mythic Goldfish: An incredibly rare (1/1M chance to fish) mythic item that deals 200 damage (which means instant elimination) to enemies when thrown at them. Can be picked up for reuse, similar to the Rusty Can and Lump of Coal.
- Harpoon Gun: Can be used for rapid fishing, dealing damage to structures and pulling opponents. Available in Rare rarity.
- Heavy Assault Rifle: A returning weapon, comes in all 5 rarities.
- Synced Emotes: Activate the emote and regardless if another player has it or not, they can copy for an additional effect. The first of these types is High Five. Others include Double Up.
- Icon Series: Includes all celebrity-based cosmetics.
- Star Wars Series: Includes all Star Wars-related cosmetics. The first of these types is the Imperial Stormtrooper.
The Battle Pass has changed. The tier progression system is reverted to the XP progression system used in Chapter 1: Season 1. This means Battle Stars are retired from the game for the time being, as it now requires season XP to progress the Battle Pass. You get 1,500 V-Bucks from the Battle Pass, more than every other season individually. You still have the same 100 tiers, but for the first time, you can go further than Level 100 but don’t get any rewards, the maximum level is 1,000.
All outfits this season (except the Fusion outfit, which is merged) have an alter ego style. The default style is always part of E.G.O, a military organization, and it’s alter ego is part of A.L.T.E.R., another organization. The two teams are likely rivals. Other outfits in this season’s pass, like the Tier 100 Fusion and the secret outfit, Sorana, are part of A.L.T.E.R.
Battle Pass Rewards
|Journey vs Hazard
|Turk vs Riptide
|Rippley vs Sludge
|Western Wilds Duo
|Remedy vs Toxin|
|Battle Pass X
|8 Ball vs Scratch|
|Cameo vs Chic|
|Respect The Peace
Victory Royale Rewards
Finding FORTNITE letters
|Turk vs Riptide (Riptide)||Journey vs Hazard (Hazard)||Rippley vs Sludge (Sludge)||Remedy vs Toxin (Toxin)||8-Ball vs Scratch (Scratch)||Cameo vs Chic (Chic)|
When players log into the game, a message from the E.G.O. shows up below the bottom left of the black hole, stating that the Seven have succeeded and that the Zero Point is theirs, and are ready for transporting everyone to the island. After the coded message, the loop stops, and the black hole leads up to the big bang, revealing a galaxy. New outfits, such as Rippley, Journey, and Turk, find themselves in an unincorporated island which turns out to be the new map.
The Battle Bus arrives and the A.L.T.E.R. has arrived. Chic starts a dance for all of them. They are also joined by Rapscallion, Cuddle Team Leader, Doggo, Raven, Stoneheart, and DJ Bop. Jonesy hops out of the bus and the game begins, if you're watching the trailer in-game.
During the player's #FirstDrop, "Ruckus" by Konata Small, the opening song of Chapter 2, plays during the free fall to the new island as Jonesy.
These are the locations from Chapter 1 that made it to Chapter 2:
- Pleasant Park
- Salty Springs
- Retail Row (Previously a Rift Zone is Season X)
- Risky Reels (A returning named location that is now a landmark.)
Alongside with familiar faces, new locations also joined in:
- Lazy Lake
- Craggy Cliffs
- Steamy Stacks
- Dirty Docks
- Sweaty Sands
- Frenzy Farm
- Holly Hedges
- Misty Meadows
- Slurpy Swamp
- Weeping Woods
The first major map change occurred in the Eye Land landmark, as it turned into the Isle of the Storm for Fortnitemares. It removed the houses and added in some craters for easy movement. The island resembles a corrupted area from Season 6.
The Isle of the Storm has been reverted to Eye Land.
In Risky Reels, the cars there leave the POI in preparation for the first live event of Chapter 2, which is an exclusive scene from the movie “Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker”. You can read about the event here.
Unofficial Patch Notes
For a good portion of Season 1, there were no patch notes. It became really controversial for the Fortnite community. Here are all of the changes made from Week 1-5:
v11.00 (Chapter 2 Launch)
- Every new feature listed above.
- 1 day after launch, the common Rocket Launcher and Bolt-action Sniper are vaulted, along with many other Chapter 1 items.
- In Creative, since The Block got removed, the Featured Hub is introduced.
- Along with this, the Fishing Rod and Bandage Bazooka is added to the game.
- This is an introduction to skill-based matchmaking.
- Various guns' reload times adjusted.
- Fortnitemares 2019. Zombies (both outfit and storm) have been added, but cannot exit the Isle of the Storm. It is a landmark which replaced the Eye Land (the middle mini island with a lodge.)
- Harpoon Gun added.
- You can now only hold 6 Grenades per slot, contrary to the previous 10.
- Isle of the Storm reverted back to the Eye Land.
- Patch notes are available for this update. Read up here
- The Sorana outfit releases.
- Risky Reels prepares a live event. They first tested out the projector.
- The Star Wars crossover begins early with an Imperial Stormtrooper outfit.
- The season extends to February 6, 2020.
- At the tail-end of this update, the Risky Reels event was revealed via posters.
- The Christmas season is approaching, and snow started to appear around the map.
- The first unvaulted weapons and items include: Suppressed Assault Rifle, Tactical Assault Rifle, Hunting Rifle, Snowball Launcher, Sneaky Snowman, and Presents!
- The Star Wars live event happens at Risky Reels, hosted by director J.J. Abrams and Geoff Keighley, who present a scene from The Rise of Skywalker.
- The Double Barrel Shotgun, Tactical SMG, and many others were unvaulted for one day during the Winterfest.
- Overtime Challenges straightly begin after Winterfest.
- Bottle Rockets return for the Chinese New Year celebration.
- More Overtime Challenges come to the game.
- A sidegrading feature is added to upgrade stations.
- The introduction of the Unreal Engine’s Chaos physics system.
- Love and War event happens for Valentine's Day.
- Several props in the Eye Land's lodge turn into gold.