Chapter 2: Season 1, with the slogan Drop Into a New World, was the eleventh season of Fortnite: Battle Royale which marked the start of a new chapter for the mode. It started on October 15, 2019, and ended on February 20th, 2020, making it the longest season to date, with a length of 128 days (or 4 months).
The theme was a new world and a new beginning, which was caused by the events of The End.
- 1 Frequent Delays
- 2 Previously, in Fortnite...
- 3 Welcome to Chapter 2
- 4 The Chapter 2: Season 1 storyline
- 5 How did it End?
- 6 New Features
- 7 Battle Pass
- 8 Battle Pass Rewards
- 9 Introduction
- 10 Map Changes
- 10.1 Update v11.00 (October 15th, 2019)
- 10.2 Update v11.10 (October 29th, 2019)
- 10.3 Update v11.11 (November 13th, 2019)
- 10.4 Update v11.20 (November 19th, 2019)
- 10.5 Update v11.21 (December 4th, 2019)
- 10.6 Update v11.30 (December 12th, 2019)
- 10.7 Winterfest (December 18th, 2019)
- 10.8 End of Winterfest (January 7th, 2020)
- 10.9 Update v11.40 (January 15th, 2020)
- 10.10 Update v11.50 (February 5th, 2020)
- 11 Unofficial Patch Notes
- 12 Trivia
- 13 Gallery
On v11.20, Epic Games announced that Chapter 2: Season 1 would have a delayed finish, on February 6th, 2020, to prepare for the holidays with new features and a live event.
Then, it happened again on January 24th, 2020, with the new date being February 20th, 2020. This was for Epic to reveal more of the season’s secrets and test out the new mechanics.
Previously, in Fortnite...
The Scientist created Rift Beacons throughout most of Season X, creating rifts acting as gateways to the island for the other members of The Seven. During The End, The Seven destroyed the time bubble surrounding The Zero Point, resuming the 'pinching' process (as described in detail here) that was paused by the freezing of time at the start of Season X. Following the time bubble's destruction, The Zero Point exploded, and its remains collapsed into a black hole that sucked the entire island into it, momentarily collapsed reality. During The Blackout, The Scientist managed to transmit a message, stating 'I was not alone. Others were outside the loop. This was not calculated. The nothing is now inevitable.' This suggests that The Seven have failed in their attempt to contain The Zero Point, and that their un-calculated actions instead resulted in the permanent destruction of the universe.
Welcome to Chapter 2
However, despite what The Seven stated, The Black hole exploded after two days of The Blackout, recreating the Zero Point that reconstructed reality and reshaping the previous island into a new one, wiping the slate clean and beginning once again. The reason for The Black Hole ending is likely due to the transmission sent at the start of the season, originating from The Imagined Order.
...[security encryption M7 authenticated]...
The Containment Field has stabilized; The Bridge is intact.
The seven succeeded. Our manipulations averted disaster.
The zero point is ours, and the plan can continue.
...[recalculating Loop shift]...
...[initiating sub Loop text transmission]...
Surprising is the sheer volume of Matter resolved around the Bridge.
Extensive Charting and Analysis are required.
Our best [redacted: D4] Team has been scrambled and inserted.
We expect resistance. And similar embedded Agents.
We've been as quiet as possible. But the gaze of others may now be turned towards Zero.
A whole new world awaits.
...[end transmission; loop]...
The message above outlines that everything is starting to stabilize, and that The Bridge is intact and safely containing The Zero Point. Despite The Scientist suggesting that The Seven initially failed in containing it, their failure comes from the fact that they basically handed The Zero Point to their worst enemy, The Imagined Order, which managed to manipulate The Seven into fixing and giving them the Zero Point, basically ensuring their success. The message also states that they are sending in a group of people to form an organization called E.G.O. on the island, dedicated to studying and understanding the new world. The reason for the the group of people using a separate name from The Imagined Order is likely due to the fact that IO is trying to keep themselves hidden from the inhabitants of the island, silently influencing activities on the island from the shadows. The message finishes with a warning, in that although The Imagined Order has been as quiet as possible in containing the gargantuan amounts of energy released by The Zero Point, the events of The End may have attracted attention of entities seeking to exploit it for themselves, as 'the gaze of others may now be turned towards zero'. Zero is the designation of the reality in which the Fortnite Island and The Zero Point resides, as confirmed by Donald Mustard on his twitter account at the beginning of Chapter 2 Season 8. The End, however, attracted the attention of Galactus, who felt the shift in reality when The Zero Point reorganized the island into a new one, and began moving towards its source, The Zero Point.
The E.G.O team, consisting of Journey, Turk, Remedy, Cameo and, 8-Ball, arrive on the island in a plane, crashing on the north-west side near Sweaty Sands. They begin exploring the new island to its fullest before The Loop resets and Battle Royale resumes once again. On the island, Salty Springs, Retail Row, and Pleasant Park have been conserved from the old map, while the rest has been changed. New locations include Lazy Lake, Holly Hedges, and Misty Meadows. A Slurp Co. factory is located in the southwest side of the island, known as Slurpy Swamp, and dispenses excess slurp juice into the surrounding swamps, giving them mysterious regenerative properties. The factory was used to create Rippley, a uniqe entity created from slurp juice. He later met the E.G.O team and joined them in their mission to study the island. The Floating Island that briefly existed at the end of Season X stopped existing after The End, but The Cube that was attached to it survived the ordeal. Following the reconstruction of the island, it was revealed to be hidden from sight, kept in a dormant state and located in a deep vat within Building 2 at Steamy Stacks, kept submerged within purple liquid and constantly monitored by numerous electronics. Energy was then slowly extracted from The Cube, and this became the basis of Kevolution Energy, which operated Steamy Stacks for extracting Cube energy, turning it into electricity, and sending it along several power lines throughout the island. However, The Imagined Order either did not know about The Cube at Steamy Stacks, or did know but decided to keep it there, as it was safely contained from breaking out and wreaking havoc on the island. Another area on the southeast side of the island was revealed to contain a secret IO base known as IO Staging Facility which would be opened in Chapter 2: Season 8.
The E.G.O team setup numerous unique research outposts throughout the island, including an E.G.O science station, Hangar, and Barracks.
The Chapter 2: Season 1 storyline
E.G.O begins studying the island, and setup numerous unique research outposts throughout the island, including an E.G.O Science Station, Hangar, and Barracks. The group of six members act as the leaders of the organization, and likely report back their discoveries to The Imagined Order, which has its Bridge facility deep underground and directly underneath Eye Land.
A few weeks into the season, it is revealed that Snapshots of Journey, Turk, Remedy, Cameo, 8-Ball, and Rippley have been created. They are named Hazard, Riptide, Toxin, Chic, Scratch, and Sludge respectively. They seem to be the direct opposite of the originals and completely hostile to them. Not long after, the snapshots form their own organization called A.L.T.E.R.. It might be that their main motivation for the hostility is that they feel like they are 'fake' when compared to the originals, and may have decided to kill them and take their place.
The Snapshots use Slurpy Swamp to produce dozens of Sludges, using them as soldiers to fight for A.L.T.E.R.. Toxin assumes the role of commanding the Sludges, while Riptide sets up a black market at Dirty Docks, operating strictly at night and selling grenades, Rocket Launchers, and Floppers. The area is guarded by the Sludge Army and the rest of the A.L.T.E.R snapshots.
Meanwhile, E.G.O discovers the problem that they are facing, discussing how they are vastly outnumbered due to the Sludge Army, and how A.L.T.E.R is preparing to attack them. In the loading screen, The Lowdown, the team is located inside the E.G.O Hangar, and 8-Ball is seen contemplating fighting his snapshot, Scratch, as the team discusses the problem behind him.
In the following few weeks, A.L.T.E.R begins their assault. Rippley and Cameo hide at a barn in Frenzy Farm, while Toxin commands a group of Sludges to search for the duo. Elsewhere, 8-Ball duels Scratch inside Wailing Woods, although a winner has not been confirmed. However, judging by the presence of 8-Ball in the Chapter 2 Season 2 trailer, it can be assumed that Scratch was eventually defeated and killed in the duel.
Following their ordeal at Frenzy Farm, Cameo and Rippley rejoin the other members of E.G.O (excluding 8-Ball, who is duelling Scratch in Wailing Woods). The team manages to narrowly escape Toxin and a very large group of Sludges pursuing them. They drive through Hydro 16 in a speedboat, as Sludges and Toxin shoot at them from the top of the dam.
While these events are occurring, Chaos Agent is seen observing the activities on the island through multiple TV screens, and begins to hatch plans.
How did it End?
Near the very end of the season, at Eye Land, some of the furniture in the house was turned into gold. This suggested that Midas had arrived and scouted the area. One thing was for certain though, the battle was about to get much more interesting...
- A new map, Apollo island, with new Point of Interests. To discover locations, you must explore them.
- New progression system: Battle Stars are no more, gain XP to progress. This system was previously used in C1-S1.
- Fishing: You can use the new fishing rod item to catch some fish that can heal you, or assorted loot.
- Swimming: You can also dive in water without worrying about fall damage.
- Hiding: Hay Bales, Dumpsters, Snowmen, and Portable Bathrooms can be used as hiding spots and are scattered among the map.
- Upgrade Bench: Found in certain POIs, you can spend materials to upgrade the weapon 1 rarity higher. The material cost increases with rarities.
- Sidegrading: A feature added to the Upgrade Bench on v11.40. It allows you to switch to another version of a weapon (Example: Assault Rifle to Heavy Assault Rifle, and vice versa).
Loot and Items
- Two-Slot Items: The first item of this type is the Bandage Bazooka.
- Bandage Bazooka: A weapon that can shoot bandages to heal teammates.
- Rare Chest: A blue chest that guarantees an Epic or Legendary weapon.
- Large Ammo Box: It contains more ammo and occasionally a shield sometimes a med kit too.
- Rusty Can: A consumable that can be thrown at enemies to deal 20 damage and can be picked up again after use.
- Lump of Coal: Similar to the Rusty Can, but can also be used to light campfires and can only be found in chests and Presents!, instead of from fishing.
- Mythic Goldfish: An incredibly rare (1/1M chance to fish) mythic item that deals 200 damage (which means instant elimination) to enemies when thrown at them. Can be picked up for reuse, similar to the Rusty Can and Lump of Coal.
- Harpoon Gun: Can be used for rapid fishing, dealing damage to structures and pulling opponents. Available in Rare rarity.
- Heavy Assault Rifle: A returning weapon, comes in all 5 rarities.
- Synced Emotes: Activate the emote and regardless if another player has it or not, they can copy for an additional effect. The first of these types is High Five. Others include Double Up.
- Icon Series: Includes all celebrity-based cosmetics.
- Star Wars Series: Includes all Star Wars-related cosmetics. The first of these types is the Imperial Stormtrooper.
The Battle Pass had changed. The tier progression system was reverted back to the XP progression system used in Chapter 1: Season 1. This meant Battle Stars were retired from the game, with season XP required to progress the Battle Pass. You received 1,500 V-Bucks from the Battle Pass. For the first time, you could go further than Level 100 but without rewards and the maximum level being 1,000.
All outfits this season (except the Fusion outfit, which is merged) had an alter ego style. The default style was always part of E.G.O, a military organization, and its alter ego was part of A.L.T.E.R., another organization. Other outfits in this season’s pass, like the Tier 100 Fusion and the secret outfit, Sorana, were part of A.L.T.E.R.
Battle Pass Rewards
|Journey vs Hazard
|Turk vs Riptide
|Rippley vs Sludge
|Western Wilds Duo
|Remedy vs Toxin|
|Battle Pass X
|8 Ball vs Scratch|
|Cameo vs Chic|
|Respect The Peace
Victory Royale Rewards
Finding FORTNITE letters
|Turk vs Riptide (Riptide)||Journey vs Hazard (Hazard)||Rippley vs Sludge (Sludge)||Remedy vs Toxin (Toxin)||8-Ball vs Scratch (Scratch)||Cameo vs Chic (Chic)|
When players log into the game, a message from the E.G.O. shows up below the bottom left of the black hole, stating that the Seven have succeeded and that the Zero Point is theirs, and are ready for transporting everyone to the island. After the coded message, the loop stops, and the black hole leads up to the big bang, revealing a galaxy. New outfits, such as Rippley, Journey, and Turk, find themselves in an unincorporated island which turns out to be the new map.
The Battle Bus arrives and the A.L.T.E.R. has arrived. Chic starts a dance for all of them. They are also joined by Rapscallion, Cuddle Team Leader, Doggo, Raven, Stoneheart, and DJ Bop. Jonesy hops out of the bus and the game begins, if you're watching the trailer in-game.
During the player's #FirstDrop, "Ruckus" by Konata Small, the opening song of Chapter 2, plays during the free fall to the new island as Jonesy.
Update v11.00 (October 15th, 2019)
In The End of Season X, the Zero Point had exploded and Athena was sucked into a Black Hole. This Black Hole then exploded releasing and reorganizing all the matter of Athena into a brand new Island, Apollo, containing brand new locations such as:
- Craggy Cliffs
- Dirty Docks
- Frenzy Farm
- Holly Hedges
- Lazy Lake
- Misty Meadows
- Steamy Stacks
- Slurpy Swamp
- Sweaty Sands
- Weeping Woods
However, four locations from Athena managed to survive the Black Hole with minor changes:
Update v11.10 (October 29th, 2019)
- The Eye Land got corrupted and became the Isle Of The Storm, where Cube Monsters roam around and where you fight the Storm King.
- Halloween decorations were set up in the Island, and the Hey Boo! store has returned in Retail Row.
- The entry sign at Sweaty Sands was completed.
Update v11.11 (November 13th, 2019)
- The Eye Land returned, replacing the Isle Of The Storm.
- November 15th: A Imperial Ship can be seen in the sky.
Update v11.20 (November 19th, 2019)
- The Hey Boo! store is once again vacant.
- A part of the parking lot in Retail Row was fenced off and a small cabin was built there.
- Containers filled with Reindeers appeared in Dirty Docks.
Update v11.21 (December 4th, 2019)
- Trucks holding cranes and excavators appeared and are headed to Risky Reels.
- A pile of wood appeared next to the fenced-off parking lot in Retail Row.
- December 6th: Most of the trucks have entered Risky Reels, they begun carrying and moving around the cars and vans of the POI.
- December 7th: The screen in Risky Reels started displaying a video about a Star Wars live event on December 14th.
- December 8th: The cars were fully removed from Risky Reels, 2 circles of cones were made and containers were added.
Update v11.30 (December 12th, 2019)
- The Mountainous area has been covered in snow.
- The screen in Risky Reels was removed and replaced with a stage displaying the countdown to the Star Wars live event.
- 2 metal pads were built, replacing the previous 2 cone circles. 2 more cone circles were made, one with a pad being built. Another crane appeared in the location.
- Crackshot's Cabin has returned east of the Eyeland.
- A dance/ski club building known as Apres Ski was added south of Misty Meadows.
- A large Igloo location was made south of Retail Row, it's known as Shiver Inn.
- The blue warehouse in Dirty Docks became an Ice factory.
- Logjam Woodworks became a landmark known as The Workshop. It is full of Christmas decor and Gingerbread men as workers.
- Near The Workshop, a truck has crashed and it's objects fell down the hill.
- Christmas trees started being sold in the fenced off area at Retail Row.
- Christmas decoration has been set up in multiple POIs.
- December 14th: The construction in Risky Reels has finished, all pads finished construction and the cranes and excavators have left.
- December 14th: The Star Wars live event ended, and five TIE Fighters have crashed onto the Island, and are guarded by Storm Troopers.
- December 15th: Risky Reels returned to it's original form, and the Star Wars posters were taken down.
Winterfest (December 18th, 2019)
- Christmas trees were placed in all POIs.
- A group of hedges grew east of Pleasant Park in the shape of a grumpy face, it's a landmark Grumpy Greens
- December 24th: More of the Island has been covered in snow.
- December 25th:
- The Island has been fully covered in snow.
- A giant ice chair landmark known as Ice Throne appeared north of Pleasant Park.
- A group of Sneaky Snowmen broke and took over a house in Salty Springs.
- A trio of Gingerbread men pushe the car in Fancy View through the wall.
- The presents in The Workshop were delivered.
- The Pipeman now has Candy cane glasses.
End of Winterfest (January 7th, 2020)
- All the previous changes except for the Salty Springs and Fancy View changes, as well as the addition of Grumpy Greens and Apres Ski have been reverted to their pre-Update v11.30 form. The snow has started melting.
Update v11.40 (January 15th, 2020)
- All the snow has melted and Shiver Inn was removed.
- A house started being built in the Lazy Lake Island.
- The FN Radio started being expanded.
- January 30th: Things are being moved out of a house between Sweaty Sands and Holly Hedges.
Update v11.50 (February 5th, 2020)
- February 16th: A sofa, a teddy bear, a TV and a toilet have turned into gold in the Eyeland.
- February 17th: A desk chair, a filling cabinet and a printer have turned into gold in the Eyeland.
- February 18th: Another sofa and a globe have turned into gold in the Eyeland.
- February 19th: A couch and a picture frame above it have turned into gold in the Eyeland.
Unofficial Patch Notes
For a good portion of Season 1, there were no patch notes. It became really controversial for the Fortnite community. Here are all of the changes made from Week 1-5:
v11.00 (Chapter 2 Launch)
- Every new feature listed above.
- 1 day after launch, the common Rocket Launcher and Bolt-action Sniper are vaulted, along with many other Chapter 1 items.
- In Creative, since The Block got removed, the Featured Hub is introduced.
- Along with this, the Fishing Rod and Bandage Bazooka is added to the game.
- This is an introduction to skill-based matchmaking.
v11.01 (October 29th, 2019)
- Various guns' reload times adjusted.
v11.10 (November 5th, 2019)
- Fortnitemares 2019. Zombies (both outfit and storm) have been added, but cannot exit the Isle of the Storm. It is a landmark which replaced the Eye Land (the middle mini island with a lodge.)
- Harpoon Gun added.
- You can now only hold 6 Grenades per slot, contrary to the previous 10.
- Isle of the Storm reverted back to the Eye Land.
- Patch notes are available for this update. Read up here
- The Sorana outfit releases.
- Risky Reels prepares a live event. They first tested out the projector.
- The Star Wars crossover begins early with an Imperial Stormtrooper outfit.
- The season extends to February 6, 2020.
- At the tail-end of this update, the Risky Reels event was revealed via posters.
v11.30 (December 12th, 2019)
- The Christmas season is approaching, and snow started to appear around the map.
- The first unvaulted weapons and items include: Suppressed Assault Rifle, Tactical Assault Rifle, Hunting Rifle, Snowball Launcher, Sneaky Snowman, and Presents!
- The Star Wars live event happens at Risky Reels, hosted by director J.J. Abrams and Geoff Keighley, who present a scene from The Rise of Skywalker.
v11.31 (December 18th, 2019)
- The Double Barrel Shotgun, Tactical SMG, and many others were unvaulted for one day during the Winterfest.
- Overtime Challenges straightly begin after Winterfest.
v11.40 (January 15th, 2020)
- Bottle Rockets return for the Chinese New Year celebration.
- More Overtime Challenges come to the game.
- A sidegrading feature is added to upgrade stations.
v11.50 (February 5th, 2020)
- The introduction of the Unreal Engine’s Chaos physics system.
- Love and War event happens for Valentine's Day.
- Several props in the Eye Land's lodge turn into gold.
- Before the announcement of its extension, Chapter 2: Season 1 was originally set to end on December 12th, 2019; almost the exact same date as the end of Season 1, December 13th, 2017 - with the difference being one day earlier.
- There is a possibility that Epic Games was planning to have Chapter 2's seasons start and end almost the exact same date as their Chapter 1 counterparts. Said idea might have been scrapped due to multiple issues, such as the 2020 Coronavirus Pandemic.
- It was the first season to have 3 Seasonal Events (Winterfest, Fortnitemares, and Love and War).