Characters are AIs introduced in Fortnite: Battle Royale, in Chapter 2: Season 5. They can be found all over the Apollo Island. A full list of Characters can be found in the Character Collection Book.
Skills & Behaviors
Characters can do a great list of things when talked to by players which includes giving Quests, and selling and upgrading Items. some can be dueled for a Weapon and hired to eliminate other players, selling and upgrading Weapons, Healing Items, and Materials which can be upgraded by them and purchased when players give them Bars.
Characters will have a message bubble above their heads as a symbol to allow players to locate them. Much like Fish, encountering new Characters fills out a player's Character Collection Book. Characters will attack players if attacked, they also have a considerable amount of Health and will drop a Common weapon when eliminated.
They can be used to purchase Items from, ranging from Common to Exotic (Excluding Mythic), start Quests and Bounties from, and be hired, acting like a hacked Stark Robot. Most Characters are not hostile, and will only attack the player when attacked first, or when Dueled for loot.
Like Bosses, these Characters will attack a player on sight but when eliminated, they will turn into a glitchy ghost form and become interactable. Hostile Characters will often drop Legendary, Epic or Rare gear, Healing Items and Bars. They are often identified by their unique Outfit Styles.
|Ruckus||Epic Rocket Launcher
Legendary Heavy Assault Rifle
|Raptor||Rare Primal SMG||800|
|Blackheart||Rare Primal Shotgun
Uncommon Small Shield Potion x3
|Zenith||Epic Assault Riffle||800|
|Hyde||Rare Primal Shotgun
|Orelia||Legendary Assault Rifle||1300|
|Riot||Epic Heavy Assault Rifle||500|
|Guggimon||Epic Heavy Assault Rifle||500|
Characters that are interactable, not included in Character Collection Book.
(Disguise as a Character)
Characters from previous seasons can be found emoting at random locations on the Island. Interacting them to join in with the emote will result in the character periodically throwing a Chug Splash at a nearby player currently participating in the emote.
All Possible Interactions
|Bounty||Duel||Hire Character||Locate||Quest||Upgrade Weapon|
|Start a Bounty on a nearby player.||Duel the Character for a Weapon.||Hire the Character to fight alongside you and eliminate other players.||Locates a certain Item.||Receive a Quest that grants Bars.||Upgrades your current Weapon.|
|Activate Rift||Activate Prop Disguise||Patch Up||Mass Supply Drop||Tip Small||Tip Large|
|Activate a Rift.||Disguise as a Prop.||Heal 50 Health.||Activate mass Supply Drops in The Storm Circle.||500 Bars Disposal.||4000 Bars Disposal.|
|Conversation||Reveal Future Storm Circle||Reveal Nearby Chests||Reveal Nearby Character||Reveal Nearby Cars||Reveal Nearby Motorboats|
|Start a conversation with the Character.||Reveal the future Storm Circle.||Mark nearby Chests.||Mark a nearby Character.||Mark nearby Cars.||Mark nearby Motorboats.|
Based on which Outfit a player is wearing, Characters can have special dialogue.
- Example: when talking to Beef Boss while wearing the Tomatohead Outfit, he will say "Look who it is...".
- Example: when talking to Crustina after a visit to The Durrr Burger, she will say "Ugh. You reek of sniff sniff patty-stink. Better hope the boss doesn't find out you went there.".
Based on the amount of Bars the player has, some Characters will have special dialogue.
- Example: Marigold will say "Put all those Bars in the trunk and let's drive.
Not playing the game for a week and some Character will greet the player with a special dialogue.
- Example: Bunker Jonesy will say "Been so long since I last saw ya, ha, I thought maybe you'd gotten out! Guess not..
- Example: Assault Rifle Machine will say "You... really know how to handle one of these, huh?"
- Example: Assault Rifle Machine will say "Please, I've got kids! One's a gumball machine, and the other's a newspaper box!"
Based on the amount of Health, Shields, Resources on the player, Characters can gift items to the player.
- Kyle used to be the only Character to not be an Outfit.
- Kit, Brutus, and Jules are the only Characters who were initially only present as a Boss.
- Kit would not offer his Charge Shotgun but instead a Heavy Assault Rifle. This could be a reference to his father Meowscles who previously dropped Meowscles' Peow Peow Rifle, which is a Heavy Assault Rifle, as an Boss.
- Brutus would not offer his Minigun, but instead a Compact SMG.
- Jules would not offer her Drum Gun, but instead Mechanical Parts to improve players’ makeshift Weapons to classic Weapons.
- The Mandalorian, Predator, Doctor Slone, Zyg and Choppy are Bosses that attack players on sight and cannot be talked to, though they are classified as Characters in the Character Collection Book.
- Under certain circumstances, some Characters may appear in Ghostly Form, in which they can’t take or deal damage and can be walked through.
- All hostile NPCs, apart from Orelia, will respawn as a ghost when eliminated.
- Cube Assassin, Jonesy The First, Joey, Armored Batman Zero, Beast Boy and Clark Kent will respawn as a ghost when eliminated.
- Bunker Jonesy, Willow, Raz (after Update v16.30), Derby Dominator, Galactico and Shot Stopper will spawn as ghosts.
- Raz is the first Character to become a Boss, while also being both a Boss (The Spire) and a Character (Colossal Crops).
- Orelia is the first hostile Character to have Boss music and the only Character to be in Battle Lab.
- Vending Machines and ATMs are technically Characters.
- All the characters are in Solid Gold and High Explosives.
- Through leaking, a tag called "SpawnOutOfTheLoop" can be found in their files.