Fortnite: Save the World, is a PvE cooperative shooter-survival mode with up to a 4-man squad to fight off husks and defend mission objectives with fortifications and defenses.
Fortnite: Battle Royale is the free 100-player PvP mode in Fortnite. One giant map, a battle bus, building and destructible environments combined with intense PvP combat; the last one standing wins.
Along with the arrival of Season 7, Fortnite: Creative was introduced. For the first time, players could create their own islands with provided prefabs, devices, and standard Battle Royale weapons and items- your island, your friends, your rules.
Fortnite Battle Royale is available on Microsoft Windows, macOS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS and most modern Android devices while Save the World is only available on PC and consoles platforms.
As of May 2020, the game has over 350 million registered players. Additionally, Fortnite has won the title for most concurrent players exceeding 12.3 million users online at the same time
Fortnite: Save the World was published by North Carolina-based studio Epic Games and released in early access form on July 2017. It was first introduced as a conceptual trailer shown on-stage at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards. A few months after its initial launch, Epic Games released Fortnite: Battle Royale, a free mode using assets and gameplay elements from the main game.
Save the World
- Main article: Fortnite: Save the World
The Storm came without warning and 98% of the world's population vanished … then came the monsters. You and up to four players lead the world's remaining Heroes in a battle to save survivors and hold back the monster hordes. Explore a large, destructible world where no two games are ever the same. Build huge forts, craft exotic weapons, find loot and level up Heroes. It is also a Co-Op Tower Defense and it has a Storyline consisting of 3 Reigons.
- Main article: Fortnite: Battle Royale
Fortnite Battle Royale is a gamemode where 100 players launch from a battle bus and battle against each other in a virtual island where they’re free to loot for weapons and consumables of different rarities.
The game is inspired by Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, a popular Battle Royale game.
- Main article: Fortnite: Creative
Fortnite Creative is a gamemode where you and up to 15 friends can create islands, play minigames, or explore other islands. In this gamemode, players can customize server settings, place prebuilt structures from Battle Royale, galleries (collections of assets from different Battle Royale structures), devices (traps, timers, vehicles, etc.), and items and weapons from Battle Royale, some of which are no longer in the game.
- In April 2014, Fortnite's closed Alpha sign-ups began and the game was revealed to be aimed towards a free-to-play model.
- In December 2014, the first round of Fortnite's Alpha began.
- In March 2015, the second round of the Alpha began.
- In Fall 2015, Fortnite was announced to be compatible with Mac computers, and the closed Beta phase began.
- Fortnite became available for Early Access on Windows, Mac, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 for those who pre-ordered the game on July 21, 2017 and on July 25, 2017 for those who did not pre-order.
- Battle Royale was released as free to play on September 26, 2017.
- Fortnite iOS was released on March 12, 2018.
- Save the World was set to become free-to-play sometime in 2018, though this was delayed until 2019 before being delayed again until sometime in the future.
- Fortnite became available for Early Access for the Nintendo Switch on June 12, 2018. Shortly after the release, PS4 crossplay was disabled due to Sony's decision.
- Fortnite was released on NVIDIA Shield TV, an Android-based platform, on July 12, 2018.
- Fortnite for Android Beta was released on August 9, 2018 to owners of Samsung mobile devices. Beta access was expanded to other mobile devices on August 1.
- Chapter 2: Season 1 enforced Cross-Platform Play which made gameplay on consoles difficult for Battle Royale.
- In December 2019, Split Screen was made available on PS4 and Xbox
- In Patch v13.20, Early Access ended.