- — In-Game Description
Battle Royale is a Game Mode in Fortnite and serves as one of the three primary modes of the game. Battle Royale is by far the most supported of the three modes, and serves as the primary mode of Fortnite.
Battle Royale was released for free on September 26th, 2017, on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. They were followed by iOS on April 2nd, 2018, Nintendo Switch on June 12th, 2018, Android on August 9th, 2018, Xbox Series X|S on November 10th, 2020, and PlayStation 5 on November 12th, 2020. iOS has since been discontinued.
Standard Playlists for Battle Royale put the player in a match of 100 players, in an attempt to be the last one standing and gain a Victory Royale. Players can compete alone, or with a squad of 1, 2 or 3 other players to aid them in battle.
Standard modes of Battle Royale consist of 100 players dropping out of the to compete in Solo, or in a squad, to be the last one standing, gaining the Victory Royale.
Players jump out of the Battle Bus, and only start with a Glider and a Harvesting Tool. Once on the ground, players must scavenge buildings, their surrounding areas, and chests to find weapons and items for survival. Players will then have to survive amongst all other opponents to win the game. The Storm will eventually spawn, which acts like a barrier and forces players to move into the "Safe Zone." The Storm will damage you if you are in it, potentially eliminating the player, so it is important that they pay close attention to its movement.
Players can also gain Materials to build structures and block damage from opponents. Excelling in building and editing at fast speeds can result in victories in most scenarios.
- Main article: Seasons
Battle Royale features periods of times called Seasons, which can last for 3 months on average, with some lasting less, and some way more. Each season brings significant changes to the game, including map changes. Each season also brings a Battle Pass, which gives players the ability to earn cosmetic items as the season progresses, as well as V-Bucks to buy items from the Item Shop.
Main article: Item Shop
Players can purchase cosmetic items from the Item Shop. These items offer no significant advantage in game, but allow the player to customise their character with various Fortnite exclusive, and collaboration items. Players purchase items using V-Bucks, which can be earned through various methods, but are most plentiful when exchanged for real money.
- Main article: Lore (Battle Royale)
Throughout the game's lifecycle, various seasonal changes have progressed an ongoing story within Battle Royale. To find out more about the ongoing story, see the article on Lore.
Other Articles of Interest
Just getting started with Battle Royale? Here are a few articles which may help you learn more about the game:
- Items List - A complete list of all items within Battle Royale.
- Vaulting and Vaulted Items - Find out what Vaulting means, and a list of items which you won't find in the current build of the game.
- Available Item List - A complete list of all the items you will find in the current build of the game.
- Vehicles - Methods of transportation within Battle Royale.
- Movement - Understand the movement systems within Battle Royale.
- Collaborations - Find out about all the types of media that Fortnite has collaborated with over the years.
- Item Shop History - Find out about previous Item Shop rotations.
- Building - Find out about the games most unique feature and how it works.
- Rarity - Understand how the game categorises items.
- Patch Notes - Look back on previous updates to the game.