SHADOW (formerly known as A.L.T.E.R.) is a Spy and Military Faction in Fortnite: Battle Royale. They were founded by Midas, but were lead by Chaos Agent during Chapter 2: Season 1 & Chapter 2: Season 2 who is one of the first Midas Operatives.
SHADOW is the "evil" team in the Spy Wars, with GHOST being the "good" team. They have existed way before E.G.O. as Midas formed the group before Chapter 2: Season 1. Their first members were Chaos Origins, Sierra and The Burning Wolf but they have expanded a lot during the time they were active. Since Chapter 2: Season 4, they haven't been active like GHOST. Some ranks are seen with The Imagined Order in Chapter 3: Season 2's cinematic trailer, which causes speculation of why they are with them.
Locations, Members and Technology
|Name & Image||Description|
|The Authority||Base of A.L.T.E.R. that used to be The Agency, now overseen by Jules. Most recently was deteriorated to The Ruins.|
|The Grotto||An underground SHADOW facility run by Brutus before being flooded and turning into Brutus' Basin.|
|The Rig||A former operational Oil Rig, after the SHADOW occupation, it became destroyed; run by TNTina until being flooded, leaving it as the Rickety Rig.|
|SHADOW Safe House - Alpha||One of the safehouses of SHADOW, located under Pleasant Park.|
|SHADOW Safe House - Beta||One of the safehouses of SHADOW, located under Gas N’ Grub.|
|SHADOW Safe House - Charlie||One of the safehouses of SHADOW, located under FN Radio.|
|SHADOW Safe House - Delta||One of the safehouses of SHADOW, located north of Misty Meadows.|
|SHADOW Safe House - Echo||One of the safehouses of SHADOW, located north of Holly Hedges.|
|SHADOW Safe House - Spawn||One of the safehouses of SHADOW, located on the Spawn Island.|
|SHADOW Lamps||A Lamp store owned by SHADOW in Retail Row.|
|GHOST Flowers||Formerly the Flower store owned by GHOST, it had been merged with SHADOW Lamps.|
|Ghost House||Formerly a GHOST Training Facility, taken over by SHADOW.|
|Shanty Town||A decrepit town west of Slurpy Swamp, a previous occupation for TNTina and SHADOW Henchmen.|
|Box Factory||A factory that produced boxes before being turned into Catty Corner; it was under the jurisdiction of Meowscles after he was kicked out of The Yacht.|
|Unnamed Storage base||A house with several work desks and a Shadow bunker used to store weapons and equipment near Lazy Lake.|
|Unnamed Shadow Control center||A destroyed house near Pleasant Park with a control center below, previously linked to SHADOW Safe House - Alpha through a secret passage.|
|Slurpy Swamp||A factory that creates Slurp entities and products; was the site of at least one of Chaos Agent's experiments.|
|Steamy Stacks||A power plant that used the power of A Cube. It is watched by Chaos Agent through his lair.|
|Agent Name & Icon||Description|
|Midas||The founder and leader of SHADOW, who also lead GHOST during Chapter 2: Season 2.|
|Chaos Agent||The second leader of SHADOW and Midas' first redeemed. He joined The Imagined Order after SHADOW disappeared.|
|Jules||The daughter of Midas, who doesn't want to live in her father's shadow. She joined The Imagined Order after Shadow disappeared.|
|The Burning Wolf||Midas' first enforcer, a part of The First Shadows and one of the first members of SHADOW.|
|Sierra||Midas' first pardoned, a part of The First Shadows and one of the first members of SHADOW.|
|Double Agent Wildcard||Double Agent for both SHADOW and GHOST.|
|Double Agent Hush||Double Agent for both SHADOW and GHOST|
|Vex||An A.L.T.E.R. agent that can fuse with his Alter-Ego, Xev to create Fusion. They remained fused until Chapter 2: Season 3.|
|Toxin||An A.L.T.E.R. agent and the head of the Team of Sludges searching for Rippley.|
|Chic||An A.L.T.E.R. Agent that mostly does not appear in missions.|
|Abstrakt||A SHADOW member and an assassin. He was sent to infiltrate the Imagined Order and sabotage The Bridge.|
|TNTina||A SHADOW agent that was stationed in The Rig with SHADOW Henchmen.|
|Renegade Shadow||An undercover agent for SHADOW, that infiltrated The Agency in GHOST disguise. He joined The Imagined Order after Shadow disappeared.|
|Rue||A SHADOW Agent and assassin.|
|Stingray||An A.L.T.E.R. agent.|
|Metal Mouth||A high ranking Soldier partnered with Zadie.|
|Zadie||An A.L.T.E.R. agent partnered with Metal Mouth|
|Hazard||An A.L.T.E.R. member and possibly a mountain climber.|
|Riptide||An A.L.T.E.R. member and a fisherman.|
|Outcast||An A.L.T.E.R. member and a fisherwoman.|
|Sorana||A high-ranking A.L.T.E.R. agent.|
|Kit||A possible member of SHADOW stationed in Catty Corner.|
|Tek||A SHADOW agent that is partnered with Terra.|
|Terra||A SHADOW agent that is partnered with Tek.|
|Henchmen Name & Icon||Description|
|Sludge||An army of Slurp creatures that were made in Slurpy Swamp and were used as Henchmen by Riptide, Toxin and Scratch.|
|SHADOW Henchmen||Henchmen of SHADOW that guard and roam around in locations that are SHADOW-controlled.|
|SHADOW Beach Brawler||Henchmen of SHADOW that survived the flood in Chapter 2: Season 3 that was stationed at The Authority.|
Chaos Agent's Experiments
|Name & Icon||Information|
|Big Chuggus||An A.L.T.E.R. member or associate.|
|Slurp Jonesy||The result of an experiment made by Chaos Agent on Recruit Jonesy.|
|Slurp Bandolette||The result of an experiment made by Chaos Agent on Bandolette.|
|Slurp Leviathan||The result of an experiment made by Chaos Agent on Leviathan.|
|Scratch||An A.L.T.E.R. member that got corrupted after an experiment by Chaos Agent|
|Corrupted Shogun||The result of an experiment made by Chaos Agent on Shogun.|
|Corrupted Arachne||The result of an experiment made by Chaos Agent on Arachne.|
|Corrupted Insight||The result of an experiment made by Chaos Agent on Insight. She joined The Imagined Order after Shadow disappeared.|
|Agent Name & Icon||Information|
|Fusion||An A.L.T.E.R. agent and the fusion of Vex and Xev. currently unfused|
|Meowscles||Last seen near The Fortilla without showing any signs of being a member of GHOST or SHADOW.|
|Brutus||A former GHOST and SHADOW member that retired and became a gun dealer trying to be the top of the underworld.|
|Tech Name and Icon||Description|
|Midas' Drum Gun||Midas' Gold Drum Gun that is used by him in The Agency.|
|Brutus' Minigun||Minigun that is used by Brutus in The Grotto.|
|Meowscles' Peow Peow Rifle||Heavy Assault Rifle that is carried by Meowscles at the Box Factory.|
|TNTina's Kaboom-Bow||Boom Bow that is used by TNTina in The Rig.|
|Jules' Drum Gun||Drum Gun used by Jules at The Authority|
|Jules' Glider Gun||Infinite Grappler which provides Glider Redeploy, carried by Jules at The Authority.|
|Rig Keycard||A Keycard carried by TNTina that opens the Vault at The Rig.|
|Yacht Keycard||A Keycard carried by Meowscles after he got kicked out of The Yacht.|
|Grotto Keycard||A Keycard carried by Brutus that opens the Vault at The Grotto.|
|Authority Keycard||A Keycard carried by Jules that opens the Vault at The Authority.|
|Motorboat||Boat which is equipped with missiles. Has the logo of SHADOW on the launcher.|
Before Chapter 2
- Midas recruits The Burning Wolf, Chaos Agent and Sierra as The First Shadows. Midas makes his first steps towards an empire of crime and espionage.
- A.L.T.E.R members were present on the island before E.G.O, they are involved in the import and sale of weapons at Dirty Docks and also have links with the companies Slurp Co. and Kevolution Energy, they started to oppose the members of E.G.O and chase them down while Chaos Agent watches everything from his lair.
- E.G.O. & A.L.T.E.R, now known as GHOST & SHADOW continue to wage war against each other. SHADOW established several SHADOW safehouses on the island. Midas as leader of GHOST founded the Agency and recruited several agents, three of them: Brutus, TNTina and Meowscles join SHADOW, allowing them to take control of The Grotto & The Rig. Near the end of the season Midas starts building The Device with his daughter Jules (a SHADOW member) as an attempt to push back The Storm, after the failure of The Device, Midas shows his true affiliation and allows SHADOW to take control of the rest of The Agency.
- SHADOW's headquarters are now The Authority, a more sinister version of The Agency re-constructed by Jules. Due to the flooding, The Grotto & The Rig are no longer fit for use as a base for SHADOW and are therefore abandoned. SHADOW safehouse are also being discontinued for unknown reasons. SHADOW continues the war against the remaining members of GHOST who built The Fortilla as their new headquarters.
- The Authority has been completely abandoned and the war between GHOST and SHADOW seems to have ended, but no explanation has been given.
- After Apollo flipped over, almost no trace of A.L.T.E.R. or SHADOW is left with the exception of Motorboats.
- Several SHADOW members have joined the ranks of the Imagined Order. One of them is SHADOW's current leader, Chaos Agent. The GHOST & SHADOW War continues in the background, seen in trailers & artwork. The I.O. is then defeated by The Resistance, possibly making SHADOW defeated as well.
"SHADOW WANTS YOU" Posters were able to be found in in the numerous locations around the map starting Chapter 2: Season 2, with many still being available to view around the map today.
Many of the posters were replaced by others (such as those welcoming/celebrating the Aliens in Believer Beach, or those advertising the cars introduced in Lazy Lake). Alternatively, some were outright removed, like with a location, or otherwise. Those that were removed are as follows:
- Two in Pleasant Park, being on the sides of southwestern-most green house and the gas station
- Three in Frenzy Farm
- The side of the center building in Lazy Lake
- Two in Holly Hedges, being on the southwest-most brick building and in the parking lot of the center shop
- Two in Sweaty Sands, being on the southwest brick building and behind the SoFDeeZ
- Many inside The Authority
- The back of the Gas N’ Grub
- Two on the sides of Building 2 in Steamy Stacks
- The side of the Cap n' Carp building in Misty Meadows
- On the side a building at the entrance/exit to Green Steel Bridge
- The entrance of the brick wall surrounding the zipline that connects to the large blue communications platforms in Retail Row
- The only actual symbol of SHADOW left on Apollo are the ocean-facing entrance of what used to be The Grotto, besides the ones found on Motorboats and on remaining recruitment posters.
- Midas' First Shadows may also be the first members of SHADOW.
- Shadow Safe Houses are named after the first 5 letters of the NATO phonetic alphabet, those being Alpha, Beta, Charlie, Delta and Echo.
- The SHADOW logo can still be found on motorboats across the island.