The Cube (or Kevin, nicknamed by the community) is a Storyline Object in Fortnite Battle Royale. The Cube first appeared in Season 5. The Cube is a key part/antagonistic object of Season 5, Season 6 and Chapter 2: Season 8.
Description and Lore
The Cube is a mysterious object that appeared first on August 24, 2018, during Season 5. It appeared near Paradise Palms, being created from several lightning strikes from the Crack in the Sky, closing it in the process. The Cube is an object of immense power, as it was capable of destroying objects in its path as it rolled towards Loot Lake, printing powerful runes which reduced gravity, and generated Cube Monsters from its fragments.
Thousands of dormant cubes were stored in a dedicated room in The Last Reality's Mothership, used to power the gigantic alien ship. It is unknown whether The Last Reality actually created The Cubes, or whether they sourced them from different realities. Likewise, it is unknown whether The Last Reality was controlling The Cube during Season 5 and season 6. However, The Cubes are affiliated with The Sideways, an evil and malicious faction and dimension with an unknown intent. A logical theory would be that The Last Reality managed to somehow defeat The Sideways and collect their cubes, imprisoning them within The Mothership to use for powering their technology. Following The Mothership's destruction, a bigger problem was created when The Sideways was finally freed.
The Cube has been confirmed by Epic Games to be sentient, most likely hunting the Zero Point to absorb its power. It has taken several forms, but has spent most time as a large purple cube, which deflects bullets, and hurts players who attempt to go near it, or heals them in the vicinity. After the reveal of multiple Cubes during Operation: Sky Fire, The Cube is seen in a Golden Version, Deactivated, and as a Rebooted Blue Version.
List of Cubes
|Name and Image||Description|
|The first corrupted cube arrived through Crack in the Sky in Season 5. It can summon Cube Monsters and print Runes to corrupt different places. It was destroyed in The Butterfly Event.|
(Save the World)
|A Storm King's true form in Save the World.|
(Season X Kevin)
|Corrupted Cube created from a Rift Beacon in Season X and the power source of Steamy Stacks. During Chapter 2: Season 8, it broke out of containment and was charged by The Golden Cube. Unlike the others, this cube has not produced any baby cubes, but has rolled toward The Aftermath like the rest to form The Convergence. As of now, this purple cube has broken apart like the others, and its fragments have been used to construct said Convergence|
|Corrupted Cubes from The Mothership. It can summon Cube Monsters, open a portal to the Sideways and corrupt everything in its path. They can also create Baby Cubes after being Awakened/Charged with a beam by the Queen Cube. Since their awakening events, the purple cubes have rolled towards The Aftermath and formed The Convergence. As of now, the purple cubes have broken apart, and their fragments have been used to construct said Convergence.|
|The Queen Cube controlling all Corrupted Cubes. It is the bounciest version of the cube, can hover, move diagonally and possessed by the potential leader of The Last Reality or The Cube Queen. It has rolled around the entire island and Awakened the Six Purple Cubes with an energy beam, forcing them to produce baby cubes, and stimulating them to roll faster and towards The Aftermath. Ever since its first movement, The Golden Cube has finished charging the purple cubes, has reached The Aftermath, and has converged with the other cubes. The golden cube has also summoned The Cube Queen after the convergence, and it is unclear whether The Golden Cube opened a portal to The Sideways to allow the queen to the island, or if the cube itself was possessed by the cube queen, who gained physical form upon the beginning of the convergence. As of now, The Golden Cube is encased within purple cube material at the The Convergence, and is intact unlike the other cubes. The Cube Queen is located in a bubble directly above The Golden Cube.|
|A formerly corrupted cube rebooted by the Loopers in Chapter 2: Season 7. As of now, it has not moved once.|
|A mini-cube found in The Bridge Science Lab.|
|Name and Image||Description|
|Loot Lake||Remains of Kevin.|
- As the Crack in the Sky continued to rapidly close up, it suddenly turned purple. Within the next few days, purple storm lightning bolts began shooting out of the crack, all targeting a hill near Paradise Palms, containing a large stone rock surrounded by a ring of cacti. Each lightning strike picked off one cacti one-by-one, until a larger lightning bolt destroyed the large rock.
- The Crack Closure event occurred on 24th August 2018, with a gigantic storm lightning bolt striking out of the rift, lasting for around 10 seconds. When it was over, the Crack in the Sky closed. then The Cube was formed.
- Though it first appeared to be a stationary object, it began to move at a rate of one revolution every 1 hour and 43 minutes. It was unclear where it would end up.
- During its journey around the map, The Cube printed seven runes with anti-gravity domes surrounding. Throughout the final three weeks of Season 5, the cube continued to print these runes.
- After finishing this process, The Cube destroyed one of the buildings in Tilted Towers. The sporting goods store was hit by a meteorite and was just in the final stages of reopening. The Cube then proceeded to the edge of Loot Lake on September 19, 2018. The Cube appeared to dissolve, turning Loot Lake in a purple-pink gelatinous state with properties akin to The Cube itself, such as becoming bouncy.
- With the beginning of Season 6, it was revealed that The Cube was still intact, as it rose from the waters, taking the cabin and island in the center of the lake with it, forming the Floating Island. This created a large hole in the lake where the island once rested, a vortex in the middle.
- After just two days of the island rising, The Cube began to move the island to each of the runes it had printed in Season 5. After getting energy from all runes, they dropped to the ground and the island returned to Loot Lake. A portal was formed above, which began to expand until it covered the entire island.
- On October 24, 2018, the first day of Fortnitemares 2018, The Cube exploded the floating island into multiple pieces, the Cube still intact. Following the explosion, The Cube fragments that had been growing on the island had been sent all over the map, which released The Cube monsters. From this day until November 4
- The Cube began to crack. On November 3, it began to drip its liquid into the vortex, until the final drip. On November 4, 2018, The Cube started to spin rapidly, which led to a white flash, and The Cube splitting apart. After the flash, players were teleported to The In-Between. Shortly after, a rift formed, and took shape of a butterfly, which then multiplied, and came to every player still alive. A cut-scene showed up, where the player put out their finger, and the butterfly would land on the finger, and it got teleported back to the map through a rift. Leaky Lake appears to be completely new, and the Cube Monsters were gone. The 2018 Fortnitemares event ended as well. (See the Butterfly Event)
- During Ice Storm event, The Ice King uses a small shard of the Cube to summon Ice Legion and freeze the island in order to stop Polar Peak from melting.
- The Floating Island from an alternate reality came through a Rift Beacon. it didn't do anything after that except circle the island aimlessly.
- Later in the season, a Cube memorial appeared at Loot Lake.
- In Chapter 2: Season 1, following The End of Athena and the birth of Apollo, The Floating Island was destroyed, but The Cube was conserved. Following the reconstruction of the island by The Zero Point, it was placed into a dormant state and underneath Building 2 of Steamy Stacks, a power station which uses The Cube to generate electricity. The facility is run by Kevolution Energy.
- The Spire Artifact is a small piece of the Spire's core, it emits Cube's runes. The Spire's core was originally made of chromium, how it got corrupted is unknown.
- Seeing visions of the future in his dreams, Raz ended up on the island after years and years of research, and got too close to The Spire Artifact only to make him corrupted with new powers. The Last Reality notice his power and begins to invade the island.
- The Mothership used the Cube's power to destroy The Spire.
- The Last Reality host the Rift Tours so they could scan the memories of the loopers, to learn about The Zero Point while taking them through multiple realities around the Metaverse. the Floating Island and the Cube and be seen in the tunnel.
- A mini version of the Cube can be found alive and moving in The Bridge science lab. IO Agents can play with it like a pet.
- During the Operation: Sky Fire live event, The Last Reality was revealed to have possessed the cube in one of its rooms. After Doctor Slone deactivates it and arms the bombs, she betrays the loopers by sealing them in with the cube. The Loopers reboot it, turning it blue, which causes the room to rise up into a chamber containing thousands of dormant purple cubes stored inside with a golden cube at the center. After the bombs detonate, the mothership is destroyed, and debris and cubes rain down onto the map, causing devastation.
- Main article: Purple Cubes
- Following the Mothership's destruction, five purple cubes, one golden cube, and a blue cube land around the island. All of the purple cubes are located at the Abductor Crash sites, and the surrounding areas have been corrupted by their presence. The Golden Cube is found near Holly Hedges, while The Blue Cube lands near Camp Cod, creating Friendly Forest around itself. The rest of the cubes seen during Operation: Sky Fire are likely still inside the main Mothership wreckage located beyond the border of the island. Less than a week after the launch of Season 8, The Golden Cube begins moving.
- By the time of Week 2, each of the Purple Cubes have moved at least once, The Golden Cube has moved over 50 times, while the Blue Cube has not moved at all. The Golden Cube visits the Believer Beach cube and commences the first Awakening event, levitating into the air and charging the cube with an energy beam. This forces the Purple Cube to create six smaller purple cubes around itself. The process also seems to have stimulated the Cube to roll much more frequently, and towards The Aftermath. The smaller cubes also line up behind the main cube and follow it. All of the purple cubes also spread corruption as they roll.
- At Steamy Stacks, the original Kevin from the Chapter 1 island awoke, breaking out of containment upon sensing the presence of the gold cube. The Golden Cube charges it, but unlike the others, that particular cube does not produce any smaller cubes.
- The Golden Cube rolls around the entire island, charging up all the six purple cubes (including the Steamy Stacks Cube). As they roll, the purple cubes leave a large trail of corruption stretching to their original starting points. At this stage, all of them (excluding The Blue Cube) are now active and heading towards The Aftermath.
- On October 12-13, The Golden Cube arrives at The Aftermath, and levitates directly above the area in a similar fashion to The Awakening events.
- On October 19, all six purple cubes simultaneously reach The Aftermath, and break apart into smaller pieces to form The Convergence, a mysterious purple structure surrounding The Golden Cube, with an unknown purpose. The baby cubes created by each purple cube was likely a method of adding extra cube material to The Convergence structure when it was created, as the purple cubes did not lose their mass during their creation. Following the convergence, Cube Queen, the mysterious leader of The Sideways, was brought to the island, and is floating above The Golden Cube in a bubble. It is unclear whether The Golden Cube opened a portal to The Sideways to allow the queen onto the island, or if the cube itself was possessed by the Cube Queen, and gained physical form upon the construction of The Convergence.
- The original Purple Cube is also known as "Kevin" by fans.
- The other major cubes have adopted some of their own that are similar to "Kevin"
- The Rebooted Cube has been nicknamed by Epic Games as "Blevin".
- The Golden "Queen" Cube has been nicknamed by the community as "Glevin"
- Dark Series outfits are based off of the Cube and are styled like it (Dark Bomber, Raptor, Dark Wild Card, Dark Jonesy, Dark Red Knight, Fallen Love Ranger, Darkheart, Dark Power Chord, Dark Tricera Ops, and Dark Rex).
- Visualize Audio setting can detect the Cube movement sound.
- Cube movement videos provided by the Twitter account Cubetracker, who has additional videos.
- The Cubes teleports themselves if they wants to cross the water. The first instance of that happening is on September 21st, 2021.
- You can see the Cube when you kill the Storm King in Save The World.
|Loot Lake Propagate|
|Loot Lake Water|
|Floating Island Distant Ambient|
|Floating Island Corruption|
|Floating Island Portal|
|1||Summon Obelisks Zap|
|1||Summon Obelisks Vocal|
|Into the Butterfly|
|Cooling Tower Liquid|