Update v18.40 of Fortnite released on November 16th, 2021.
Update 18.40 is here and the Island is destabilizing, two classic vehicles return, and Naruto Uzumaki and the rest of Team 7 arrive!
War Effort: The Salvaged B.R.U.T.E.
The Cube Queen has deployed countless warriors, and corruption is spreading fast throughout the Island. To fight back, the war effort against the Cubes is producing some big guns of their own.
Meet the Salvaged B.R.U.T.E. Battling the Sideways has left the war effort short on supplies, meaning this Salvaged B.R.U.T.E. has a stripped down armor hull with no overshield, making it easier for clever opponents to counter and dismantle. However, it comes battle-ready with combat effectiveness tailored for taking on wave after wave of Cube Monsters.
Of course, Salvaged B.R.U.T.E. Stations need Bars to get off the ground… lots of Bars. Stations have been deployed across the Island where you can place funds. Once they’re fully funded, they’ll drop in Salvaged B.R.U.T.E.s available to Loopers in their matches.
Help boot up the Salvaged B.R.U.T.E. and beat back The Cube Queen’s endless army.
Naruto & Team 7 in Fortnite
From the beloved anime series NARUTO SHIPPUDEN, Naruto Uzumaki and the rest of Team 7 have finally arrived in Fortnite! Their Outfits (as well as other items) are in the Item Shop starting now, and Team 7 member Kakashi Hatake, in addition to an Outfit, has covertly placed himself as an Island Character. Find him and he’ll set you up with ninja-themed Quests.
Also, until the end of the Season, you’ll be able to find Paper Bomb Kunai as a new weapon to throw at opponents. Find this explosive weapon in Chests or Loot Llamas — or exchange Bars with Kakashi Hatake for some.
For more info on the Team 7 activities, visit our Naruto & Team 7 blog post!
Shopping Carts Roll Out
Clean up on Aisle 3 — Shopping Carts have returned to the Island! Throw a friend in the basket and scoot around with this classic “vehicle,” found at shopping and residential areas like Retail Row and Holly Hedges.
The Convergence Expands
XP From Accolades In Creative
In creator-made maps that utilize the new Accolade Device, players will be able to earn XP towards their Battle Pass progress via Accolades set by the creator. The device is available now to all creators.
If you’re a creator who wants more information, check out our v18.40 Creative Update post.
MAJOR BUG FIXES
- Grapplers have returned to Team Rumble and Battle Lab.
- Collection book entries can now be viewed when using Performance Mode.
- Cars will no longer vanish or move when entering or exiting.
- Shopping Carts, the Salvaged B.R.U.T.E., and Paper Bomb Kunai are not present in competitive playlists.
The v18.40 update brings several device updates, new front end changes, matchmaking changes, and the new Accolade device!
NEW: LOADING SCREEN INFORMATION
Another new change in 18.40 is to the loading screen, where the Creator name, Island name and the 3 information bullet points specified in the My Island settings will be displayed while a player is loading into an experience. This is an opportunity to give players important information about your experience before they get there, so think carefully about what you want those information bullets to say to get maximum value out of them.
Update: Matchmaking Portal Change
Matchmaking Portals will now require the Creator to use the version number when linking to an island code of an island that has not gone through the Creator Submission process. The portals will work as they do now if the submitted island has been approved by that process. The matchmaking portal will allow players to enter the latest approved version of that island code.
This prevents islands that have been reviewed to link to unreviewed islands. If the version number is not entered and the island code has not yet been reviewed an error message will be displayed.
New: Accolade Device
The Accolade device allows creators to design achievements or accomplishments that players can complete to earn Battle Pass XP while playing your map! Creators will have several customization options to best fit the design of your experience, including Accolade Name, Accolade Type, Target Value, and Triggers.
For the Accolade device to be active in your experience, it will need to go through calibration. Calibration is a process of measuring data for a newly released or recently updated game, to ensure the Accolade device provides the correct amount of Battle Pass XP.
- When a game is newly released or updated, there is an Initial Calibration period where data is being gathered before the system decides that there is sufficient data to drive the mechanics of the Accolade Device.
- Initial Calibration comes in 2 phases:
- Data Gathering
- Data Analysis
- During the Initial Calibration period, players can only earn Playtime XP in your map.
- The system still keeps track of enabled Accolades being triggered.
- Playtime XP is defined by Epic and is not related to the Playtime Accolades made available to Creators.
- Playtime XP will be disabled after initial calibration is over
Because the Calibration process needs to gather data, the length of the Initial Calibration period is dependent on the amount of engagement that a map gets during that period, so will vary from map to map.
We’ll notify Creators through email whenever there is a key event in the game’s calibration. These key events include:
- Start of Initial Calibration
- Initial Calibration Warning
- Initial Calibration Passed
- Initial Calibration Failed
- Post Calibration Failure
For further details on the Accolade Device visit the Fortnite Creative Documentation website. In addition to the Creative Documentation, we hosted a Q&A in our Fortnite Creative Discord that you can view answers to questions other creators had.
New: Item Remover Device
This device allows you to remove items directly from a player’s inventory without using Checkpoints or Capture Areas.
You can choose the type and amount of items to remove and even add specific items to the device for precise control of what to remove. You can even force items to drop on the ground and affect all players in a team or class simultaneously.
For more information on the Item Remover Device visit our Fortnite Creative Documentation Site.
Update: Timer Device
- We’ve now moved the persistence features of the Timer device out of beta and into full release so you can now pause, resume and continue timers between sessions for your players.
Shooting Gallery Device
The shooting gallery gets a whole lot of love in this update. We’ve added full channel control, timers, randomizers and a bunch of other customization options to let you build the ultimate target shoot arena.
Battle Royale Items
We’ve added the following Battle Royal items to Creative
- Shockwave Grenade Launcher
- Branch AR (Combat Assault Rifle)
- Tactical Pistol
- Sideways Scythe (goes from Rare up)
- Zero Point Pretzel
- Fixed an issue with the Skydome device that caused it not to generate clouds when the game language is set to anything other than English.
- Fixed an issue with the Skydome device Fog Colour that affected the Time of Day setting.
- Fixed a visual issue when the Skydome device was set to 0% Fog.
- Fixed an issue with the Switch device that caused it to not work correctly when the Enabled on Game Start option was set to NO.
- Fixed an issue with the Switch device that caused the Allowed Team setting to not work correctly.
- Fixed an issue with the HUD message device that caused it to play an audio sound without a message.
- Fixed an issue with the barrier device that caused players to teleport when jumping into it with props nearby.
Prefab & Gallery Fixes
- Fixed an issue with trees from the Holiday Gallery missing snow on the material.
- Fixed an issue with a hay bale from Spooky Prop Gallery A dropping resource materials unlike other hay bale assets.
- Gameplay Fixes
- Fixed an issue that caused Creators to be unable to place traps after changing Structure Damage Settings in Creative Matchmaking.
- Fixed an issue that caused cube vents to disappear after jumping on them.
- New UI island setting: Max Trackers on HUD with values 0, 1, 2, and 3.
- Fixed an issue that caused creators using a controller to be unable to select the Clear All Player's Save Data check box when trying to publish a map.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Conditional Button to not hide during Replay Mode.
Calling all Commanders,
There is much to be discussed in this Status Report, so let’s get right into it! Homebase Status Report - Initiate!
Commanders are now able to earn Battle Pass experience in Save the World! Here’s how it works: Completing missions in Save the World will reward you with accolades that will grant you varying amounts of XP based on the badges earned during the mission. A majority of XP will come from badges earned from successfully completing a mission, but there are many ways to earn more: Looting materials, crafting weapons, defeating Husks, exploring the map; all of these are ways to earn more XP in your missions. Don’t forget to complete those bonus mission objectives!
This feature goes live on November 16 2021 at 1 PM ET.
Save the World's Winterfest Venture Season Makes Its Jolly Return
Hexslyvania may be making its ghostly exit soon, but the chills are just getting started with the return of the Winterfest Venture Season on November 20 at 7 PM ET!
The return of Winterfest also brings the return of the Super Heroic Modifier where each class will gain super heroic benefits that will further strengthen their style of play.
Soldiers, This is the perfect modifier to enhance those headshots! The damage of headshots is doubled and you’ll benefit from reduced cooldowns when eliminating Husks with ranged weapons. Accuracy is key!
Constructors, The one downside of building is that it uses up your hard earned materials. Well that problem is reduced with this modifier! Building will cost fewer materials; on top of that, this modifier gives Kinetic Overload lower cooldown and greater impact!
Ninjas, A healthy blend of Melee and Ability weaving will be key with this modifier. Focus your efforts on ability eliminations to gain increased melee damage and attack speed. Use that to your advantage as melee eliminations also reduce your ability cooldowns. Synergize your playstyle for maximum efficiency. You’ll also gain double the Shadowstance stats so get in their faces and show em’ who's boss.
Outlanders, It’s time for some punchin’ (looking at you, Jess) as Anti-Material charge will have no cost during this Ventures Season. For all you T.E.D.D.Y slingers out there, you’ll benefit from a free Fragment every 50 seconds along with increased ability damage.
Reports from the field show that the winter winds have increased the Husk resistance to trap and weapon damage, so get ready to build a squad that can pack quite a punch!
Unwrap The Holiday Llama!
This Llama looks cold on the outside, but it is filled with festive heroes and weapons that will warm up Homebase. The Holiday Llama returns on November 20 at 7 PM ET.
Frostnite Challenges Return, Subzero Zenith Freezes Up The Event Store, And Crackshot Needs Your Help In The Holly Jolly Questline On November 20 (7 PM ET)
Survive The Bitter Cold In Frostnite
Beginning on November 20 at 7 PM ET, venture out and keep the Burner filled with scavenged BluGlo. If it runs out, things get real cold real quick. As the burner health decreases the Storm Shield shrinks, so fill ‘er up.
The Krampus Smashers who dwell in these cold regions are dangerous but worth the fight, dropping some much needed BluGlo. Check your quest log for Frostnite rewards, such as the loading screen / music pack and be on the lookout for weekly challenges in the coming weeks.
Survive as long as you can with only your scavenged loot, schematics, and wits to protect you.
“Let's put them on ice” - Subzero Zenith
- Standard Perk: Icy Shot
- Sniper critical hits apply Water Affliction, dealing 21 base Water Damage per second for 3 seconds.
- Commander Perk: Icy Shot+
Sniper critical hits freeze enemies for 1.6 seconds and apply Water Affliction, dealing 21 base Water Damage per second for three seconds.
- Unlocks Team Perk: Shake it Off
- Decreases duration of elemental status effects by 50%. Requires 2 Heroes with 4 or more stars.
Holly Jolly Ransom
It’s finally time for the Holidays! The tree is up and decorated. The cocoa is nice and warm. The candy canes are minty and fresh. Still… It feels like we are missing something….Wait a minute! Where is Homebases’ most festive hero, Crackshot!? Investigating a missing nutcracker case wasn’t necessarily in the Homebase’s holidays plans, but here we are! Completing this questline will reward you with the festive Soldier hero, Crackshot.
“WILL YOU HURRY UP AND SAVE ME ALREADY!?” - Crackshot
- Standard Perk: Mad Tidings
- Firing a ranged weapon grants 1 stack of Holiday Spirit, up to 50 stacks. Each stack of Holiday Spirit increases Ranged Weapon Damage by 1% but decreases Weapon Stability by 0.2%. Buff removed on weapon swap or reload.
- Commander Perk: Mad Tidings+
- Firing a ranged weapon grants 1 stack of Holiday Spirit, up to 50 stacks. Each stack of Holiday Spirit increases Ranged Weapon Damage by 2.9% but decreases Weapon Stability by 0.7%. Buff removed on weapon swap or reload.
Things Get Icy In The First Week Of The Frostnite Challenges And Lynx Claws Her Way Into The Event Store On November 27 (7 PM ET)
Frostnite Weekly Challenge 1: Frosty Turf
Starting on November 27 at 7 PM ET, take on the Frosty Turf Frostnite Challenge. Thanks to the ice cold temperature the terrain will be slippery and trap reloads are slower.
Don’t let this challenge give you cold feet though, as completing it will grant you with the constructor that puts the “action” in action figure, SGT. Tank!
Sgt. Tank Gatling
“The best offense is a good defense” - SGT. Tank
- Standard Perk: Bouncy Shield
- Up to 5 attacks blocked by Goin’ Constructor create a sonic wave, dealing 64 base damage to enemies within 0.5 tiles
- Commander Perk: Bouncy Shield+
- Up to 8 attacks blocked by Goin’ Constructor create a sonic wave, dealing 128 base damage to enemies within 0.5 tiles
“Never stay grounded” - Lynx
- Standard Perk: Hang Time
- Using Kunai Storm grants hover for 4 seconds. Increases Damage by 40% during hover.
- Commander Perk: Hang Time+
- Using Kunai Storm grants hover for 4 seconds. Increases Damage by 140% during hover.
- Unlocks Team Perk: Bio-Energy Source
- For Each Hero with 3 or more stars, Recover Shield equal to .25% of Energy Lost.
The Fortnite Lars Pack
“Looks like the band is back together” - Lars
Lead guitarist of the legendary rock band Steel Wool (and renowned Storm Scientist) is ready to strum up some Husks!
The Lars Pack brings a new Hero and Outfit, the Lars Storm Strummer Backbling, Lars Prop Chop Pickaxe, the Lars Challenges, and access to Save the World. These exclusive Save the World challenges will earn you 1,000 V-Bucks and 1,000 X-Ray Tickets.The Cosmetic items of this Pack will be shared through Battle Royale, Save the World and Creative game modes. This new Pack series will have no impact on existing Founder daily login rewards or their V-Bucks earned, which is exclusive to early access Founders. These outfits may appear in the item shop in the future.